Okay so continuing on with goals, some of my other New Year goals are centered around financial fitness, and in this case that means sticking to my monthly budget.
And if I continue eating out the way I have been, I am going to be in big trouble. Finding out about the Chicken Curry Salad from Sandy's Sandwiches has seriously been the discovery of the year, however, since it is on the pricey side it is (at the same time) my worst discovery. Great for my health, but bad for my wallet, unfortunately.
So after talking to my friend, Savani, who recently tried making this salad herself, I decided I'd do the same. And since I am a financial instructor myself, I fully endorse this attempt to save money. SO, here I am to share this adapted recipe with you. Of course this is not the exact recipe, but it is dang close and tastes just like it!
As a side note, I just wanted to mention that the salad is a little bit different every time I go, but since I had no plan to make the salad prior to this last week, I didn't pay much attention to the details beforehand. So this recipe that I've come up with is specific to the most recent salad that I had from them last week (pictured above). So without further ado, Homemade Chicken Curry Salad adapted and inspired by the Chicken Curry Salad from Sandy's Sandwiches on the North Shore of O'ahu.
- Leafy Greens (I use an Organic Baby Spring Mix from Costco)
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes (I use a Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Basil spread)
- Sliced Cucumbers
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Sliced Avocado (Optional)
- Sliced Lemon
- Balsamic Vinegar
Chicken Curry Mix:
- Shredded Chicken (I used the canned premium chicken breast from Sam's Club that is fully cooked, has no preservatives, no MSG and is in water. However, freshly baked chicken would be the healthier option.)
- Scoop of Mayo (Can use olive oil mayo, low fat mayo, nayonaise or plain greek yogurt as substitutions to regular mayo for a healthier option.)
- Curry Powder
- Diced Green Peppers (optional)
- Diced Cucumbers (optional)
- Diced Tomatoes (optional)
- Diced Onion (optional)
- Prepare Chicken Curry Mix. Put all ingredients in to a bowl and mix until evenly spread. (I don't have an exact measurement for the mayo, but it is very similar to how you would prepare tuna for tuna sandwiches or chicken for chicken sandwiches. I also wasn't sure how much curry powder to use so I just sprinkled and mixed and sprinkled and mixed until it looked and tasted right. If you haven't had this salad before though, I'd say just sprinkle enough for it to actually look yellow, test-tasting it along the way.)
- Prepare salad. Start with your greens, then add your veggies on the sides, plop the chicken in the middle and add a dollop of sundried tomatoes on the side. (See picture.) Then dress the salad with the balsamic vinegar, squeeze the lemon, then add a dash of pepper.
And that's it! Simple, right? But those flavors together? Ooooh weeee! It's to die. Didn't know a salad could taste this good. Try it for yourself and see. :)